Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Mecca...


The Mecca



After all these years I finally made it to the Mecca of Bodybuilding, Gold’s Gym in Venice. 
To sum it up, it was cool as hell.
I know it’s not the same place where icons like Arnold, Franco and Frank Zane trained, but it was still incredible and some of the original equipment is still there. Going to this gym has been a destination on my list for a long time, but I never had a chance to make it until last week. I was in Los Angeles for meetings and when they were finished I was able to make some time to get there and train. It was a pretty surreal experience to be honest. 
This is a place where every bodybuilder past and present has on their destination list and I made sure to enjoy every second of it. When you think about it, this place is where dreams have been made for so many cover models and bodybuilders alike.
I’m a throwback, old-school kind of guy, so I really enjoyed seeing all of the old pics and especially the original equipment that still exists to this day. There was definitely an old-school nostalgic feel to the place and that simply made the experience that much more memorable.
After training there, I have to say it pretty much completed my travel from a destination gym standpoint, except for Bev Francis’ Powerhouse Gym in New York.
I plan to visit that at some point in 2014 and it really has been a tremendous thrill to be able to visit all these historic training facilities. I’ve been to Metroflex in Dallas, Westside Barbell, Dorian Yates’ Temple Gym in England and now Venice Gold’s Gym.
If you understand its value and what it has meant to this industry, I highly recommend making time to pay Venice Gold’s Gym a visit.




No comments:

Post a Comment