Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Quest for POWER again....


Quest for POWER again



Like I said in a post earlier this week, the power bug has definitely bit me. This time it’s a little different since I want to lift at 181 pounds in a powerlifting meet, something I’ve never done before.
It’s going to be a real challenge, but I am always up for that. One thing I’ve noticed immediately is that my daily, crazy 800-meter lunges for cardio have paid off already during my first speed squat and pull day.
Here’s the hard facts - I have lunged more than 20 miles in the last eight weeks. Yes, you read that correctly, 20 miles of straight lunges in two months.
It got my legs more than ready for the bodybuilding show - to say the least - but in just one workout I noticed how fast my legs were firing off the box when I squatted in my first speed workout, Westside Method style.
Truth be told, my favorite exercise is squatting. Most people will say,” Yeah, right,” but I like it because it’s the most intense and mentally grueling lift out of the big three (squat, bench, deadliest) in my opinion. When I squatted 700 pounds weighing 208 I prepared myself with a mentality that there was nothing stopping me from making that weight - and that’s what happened.
But the real moral of this post is that high-rep workouts with crazy volume will transition over to big lifts. Your body has to be prepared and your connective tissue has to be strong to support greater loads, but my daily lunges have helped with that, along with raising my metabolism and increasing my strength and conditioning.
I am a little crazy - I definitely know this - but like I keep saying, you have to do some crazy shit to yield a crazy result.
I hope to do my first powerlifting meet at 181 sometime in late January, so keep on the look out for some more craziness me.

No comments:

Post a Comment